Yessenov Data Lab 2020
Yessenov Data Lab 2020 Summer School is a 5-week intensive training of young Kazakhstan’s scientists in basic skills of volume data analysis for further application of knowledge in real practical work, as well as the development of their communication skills
Dates of the school: 15 June to 17 July 2020. NB DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, THE START OF CLASSES IS POSTPONED TO JULY 13.
Schedule: on weekdays from 9:00 to 18:00.
Number of participants: 20 participants.
Location: Almaty, al-Farabi Kazakh National University. NB DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, THE SCHOOL WILL BE HELD ONLINE.
Graduates will gain the following skills:
- Python programming as part of data analysis
- Statistical analysis methods
- Data pre-processing and preparation for subsequent analysis
- Data visualization and pattern recognition
- Forecasting based on historical data
- Understanding various learning algorithms
- The right choice of training model
Program participants: citizens of the Republic of Kazakhstan over 18, current researchers, undergraduate and graduate students in technical and natural sciences studying in Kazakhstan’s universities.
- Strong analytical skills
- Interest in a relevant scientific field, and an appropriate confirmation thereof: own scientific articles, materials, results of any research, etc.;
- The candidate must demonstrate interest and commitment to scientific activities in Kazakhstan.
- Knowledge of the basics of statistics and linear algebra
- The following will be an advantage:
- Programming skills;
- Certificates of completion of a programming course or a bachelor’s degree in a technical specialty (mathematics, physics, engineering);
- Intermediate English skills (6.0 IELTS/80 TOEFL ibt or other proof of language proficiency) and higher.
Number of scholarships: 20
Language of instruction: Russian, the use of technical English elements is possible.
Submission deadline: 24 February to 15 March 2020.
Fill out an application on the Foundation’s website and provide the following documents:
- Copy of an identity card;
- A copy of the transcript (all semesters) and a diploma of Bachelor’s programme with grades (for undergraduates and specialists);
- The statement “I want to learn data analysis in order to …” (at least 7 sentences and not more than 2 pages);
- Portfolio showing the candidate’s achievements in research and/or expressed interests in a specific scientific field with a respective evidence: own scientific articles, materials, results of any research, etc.;
- Certificate of English Proficiency (if any).
Note: Winners study at no cost. For winners residing outside Almaty, the Foundation provides assistance to cover the cost of air travel within Kazakhstan to Almaty and back, provides them with accommodation and meals, or a cash equivalent for the duration of the training.
Seen by: 122,856